Buying a Dog - I have to be Approved!?!

Buying a dog isn't something to do on a whim, especially if you are looking for a certain breed or personality.  When we finally decided to get a puppy as a family pet I thought it would be a simple trip to the pet store with cash in hand.  I was definetly in la la land, day dreaming, when I came up with that idea because buying a family dog is about the same as trying to find a job.  Since my husband and kids are determined to avoid the puppy mills and buy from a quality breeder the process of finding the "right" dog has become very difficult.

I was flabbergasted when I first learned that we'd have to interview for a dog.  I'm interviewed out, I've been on job interview after job interview, the last thing I wanted to do was interview for a dog.  I'm not even a dog lover, in fact I don't have much use for animals.  If my life depended on me coming up with an animal person type to discribe myself, I'd have to say I'm more of a cat person... no make that a fish person.  Not that I want an aquarium to clean out but I like to swim and they don't need much attention. 

By now you are probably wondering why I'm even thinking about buying a dog, let alone interviewing to be approved to purchase a dog.  One word - Kids.  My kids have bent over backwards for the last 2 years proving that they are responsible enough for a dog.  They've begged, pleaded and all but sold their soul to get a dog.  My son has babysat, fed, dressed and walked his little sister without grumbling or fussing and my daughter has cleaned, organized, and help out around the house.  They have been patient and waited until we finally caved after over 2 years of asking. 

I am realistic and I know that once the dog has been in the house for a while the kids will revert to lazy excuses and need to have a fire started under their butts to walk the dog.  I have an ace up my sleeve though, my knight in shining armour, my husband, is an animal lover and will pick up the slack.  He'll whine and have hissy fits but he'll take care of everything.  That's the kind of guy he is - responsible.  As an animal lover he'll have no choice but to take care of it as wonderfully as he cares for us. 

If I really think about it though, I wasn't much for kids before I ended up with 2 of them.  So maybe a dog will melt the ice and I will end up a dog person yet.  Of course that's if we ever do find the "right" dog.... afterall, I do have to go through the  interview process first.

No comments:

Share

Related Posts with Thumbnails

background